Since the film premiered in July 2015, the Blood Lions® Campaign team – together with the wonderful support of key partners around the world – have made great strides in their efforts to raise global awareness around captive lion breeding and “canned” (captive) hunting, as well as the associated tourism activities.
Below is a brief outline of our key milestones for 2018 – another significant year for change and awareness with the help of many partners and organisations in tourism, conservation and welfare.
Digital Media 2018
- The Website: over 200 000 visitors
- Blood Lions Facebook: over 54 000 followers; reach over 3.3 million in 2018
- Blood Lions Twitter: over 7 300 followers; reach over 1.9 million in 2018
- YouthForLions Facebook: over 4800 followers, reach over 366 000 in 2018
- YouthForLions Twitter: over 710 followers, reach over 707 000 in 2018
- Five international tweet storms with involving millions of supporters worldwide
- Online support since 2015 from top international influencers and celebrities: Ellen de Generes (48m followers), Miley Cyrus (19.4m), Ian Somerhalder, (6.21m), Nikki Reed (.8m), Shannon Elizabeth (.6m), Emily VanCamp (.5m), Ricky Gervais (12 m), Marc Abraham (46.8k)
- R53 673 762.16 pro bono media coverage globally to date and climbing daily.
- International Distributors
- PBS International, USA and IFD, South Africa
- Blood Lions®DVD and VOD
- Blood Lions® TV airings (54min TV edits): still ongoing in 180 countries/territories around the world through the Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, MSNBC, TV Ontario, RTK, N-Tv, Planéte.
- Blood Lions® “curated” screenings:Over 150 screenings in Australia, Belgium, Canada, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Finland, Germany, Holland, India, Indonesia, Israel, Kenya, Namibia, Nepal, New Zealand, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States of America, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Blood Lions® promotional clips: 9 short info clips produced for the campaign, featuring different aspects of the captive lion breeding and canned hunting industry.
- Blood Lions® short promotional “teasers”: 9 info teasers produced this year for social media events
- 30,000 Blood Lions® DVDs distributed throughout South Africa: leading retailer Woolworths distributed largest number of DVD’s ever ordered in SA through their Bags4Good “Born to Live Wild” campaign.