BLOOD LIONS® CAMPAIGN “MILESTONES”
Since the film premiered in July 2015, the Blood Lions® Campaign team – together with the support of key partners around the world – has made great strides in their efforts to raise global awareness around captive lion breeding and “canned” (captive) hunting, as well as the associated tourism activities.
- The Website: 165 000 visitors
- Facebook: almost 50 000 followers; reach over 86 000 000 per year
- Twitter: over 6700 followers; reach over 2 200 000.
- Five international tweet storms with millions involved worldwide
- Online support from top international influencers and celebrities: Ellen de Generes (48m followers), Miley Cyrus (19.4m), Ian Somerhalder, (6.21m), Nikki Reed (.8m), Shannon Elizabeth (.6m), Emily VanCamp (.5m), Ricky Gervais (12 m)
- Over R40 000 000 in pro bono media coverage globally and climbing daily.
- PBS International, USA
- IFD, South Africa
Blood Lions® DVD and VOD
- DVD: amazon.com in the USA, www.takealot.com in South Africa, iTunes in the United Kingdom;
- VOD: available globally on wildlifeconservationchannel.com
- Blood Lions® TV airings (54min TV edits): ongoing in 180 countries/territories around the world through the Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, MSNBC, TV Ontario, RTK, N-Tv, Planéte.
- Blood Lions® “curated” global screenings: Over 120 screenings in Australia, Belgium, Canada, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Finland, Germany, Holland, India, Indonesia, Israel, Kenya, Namibia, Nepal, New Zealand, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States of America, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Blood Lions® produced 9 video clips: 9 short info clips were produced after the film’s release, featuring different aspects of the captive lion breeding and canned hunting industry: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaTUI9LSR_6KVfKyBZlDcdg/videos
- Woolworths Bags4Good: leading SA retailer distributed 30,000 Blood Lions® DVD’s throughout South Africa through their Bags4Good “Born to Live Wild” campaign in 2016 http://bags4good.org.za/lions
- International Subtitles: Hebrew and Portuguese.
- Blood Lions® (84min feature film): People’s Weather premiered full length version of the film on television in South Africa to commemorate World Lion Day in August, and twice weekly during World Tourism Month in September.
- International Parliaments: Sweden
- Safari Company, Israel: Blood Lions® invited to screen film in Tel Aviv at Safari Company’s “Responsible Tourism Campaign” gala event http://www.haaretz.com/life/film/.premium-1.799928
Projects supported through Blood Lions® fundraising:
- NSPCA’s Wildlife Unit
- Somkhanda Community Game Reserve’s wild lion reintroduction program aimed to improve the tourism product offering and ecological status of the reserve in KZN.
- International Trade Fairs Attended:
- WTM Cape Town
- Indaba South Africa
- We Are Africa Cape Town
- Conservation Lab Cape Town
- Expedia: stops selling animal interactive tours: http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Travel-Technology/Expedia-to-stop-selling-some-animal-tours
- Humane Society International, USA: Digital media “action alert”: Blood Lions® “Born to Live Wild” tourism pledge garnered 113,000 signatures in USA.
- India: Road Show: Jaipur International Film Festival; screenings to SKAL International and WPSI, Delhi; screening and workshop at St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai
- Stockholm, Sweden: Screenings/panel discussions Swedish Parliament and key tourism organizations
- SATSA AGM: Blood Lions® attended the conference. https://conservationaction.co.za/media-articles/pressure-mounting-ban-wild-animal-interactions-sa/
- International Women’s Club, Cape Town: Blood Lions® invited to present.
- APTA, USA: https://apta.biz/blog/2017/08/17/leading-wildlife-groups-call-on-satsa-members-to-pledge-against-captive-breeding-and-exploitation-of-lions/?ct=t(APTA_Dispatches_20153_19_2015)
- Thomas Cook: Announced they will stop selling animal interactive tours.
- Tinder: Ordered all members to take down tiger ‘selfies’ http://blog.gotinder.com/take-down-the-tiger-selfies/
- SAYTC (South African Youth Travel Conference): Blood Lions® screening, front of staff training and participation in panel discussion and debate.
- Jackson Hole “Big Cat Summit”, USA: Blood Lions® was invited to attend and to participate in panel discussions and workshops.
- HSI, USA: Partnership digital media “action alert” around Blood Lions “Born to Live Wild” tourism pledge garnered 113,000 signatures from across America.
- Melbourne, Australia event: Blood Lions® invited as speaker
- Oxford University, UK: screening
- Saxion University Student animal welfare and tourism symposium: 150 students in attendance, organized by Saxion University of Applied Sciences (UAS), in partnership with TUI Benelux and Foundation Spots.
- Animals For Asia Conference, Nepal: screening at annual convention in Kathmandu
- PHASA (Professional Hunting Association of South Africa): reversed its position regarding captive hunting at annual AGM. The immediate response from the professional hunting industry included numerous resignations from the organization, together with the following statements:
- OPHAA: The Operators & Professional Hunting Associations of Africa suspended PHASA straight away
- NAPHA: The Namibia Professional Hunting Association condemned – despite world opinion – what they called this “short sighted and ill-advised decision by PHASA”
- APHA: The African Professional Hunting Association Executive Committee issued strong statement opposing any form of captive or canned lion hunting.
Blood Lions® “Born to Live Wild” Tourism Campaign won joint “Overall Winner” as well as the Gold
Award for “Best Responsible Tourism Campaign”
- Film Festivals Blood Lions® Screening Selections:
- India: Jaipur International Film Festival
- New Zealand: Reel Earth Film Festival
- Spain: Another Way Film Festival, Madrid
- Brazil: Mostra International Film Festival
- Government/Parliamentary Screenings:
- International Parliaments: Botswana and Finland
- Adventure Travel Trade Association screening, USA 2016.
- USA/Canadian three-week Road Show: included film festivals, curated screenings, workshops and panel discussions in theatres and universities across the country.
- Tourvest Destination Management: dedicated Blood Lions® Screening Day: staff members from all international TDM offices watched the film and signed the pledge not to support lion interactive tourism http://www.tourvest.co.za/news.asp?upd=1&newsID=159 http://yourafrica.co.za/tourvest-supports-blood-lion-campaign/
- Empowers Africa, USA honors Blood Lions and campaign team at Explorers Club in New York
- Compass – Ethical Travel and Volunteering Conference, UK: Workshop and screening.
- Global Nature Fund, Germany: Partnership to support the Blood Lions Campaign in Germany, as well as Campaign Against Canned Lion Hunting international and South Africa.
Blood Lions® Campaigns
- Blood Lions® “Born to Live Wild” Tourism Campaign and Pledge: launched April 2016 and signed by more than 100 key tour operators worldwide http://www.bloodlions.org/born-to-live-wild/
- Blood Lions® “Youth For Lions” Campaign: global youth awareness campaign launched August 2016, sponsored by Marchig Trust http://www.bloodlions.org/youth-for-lions/
- 42 international airlines: pledged to no longer carrying hunting trophies: http://www.hsi.org/news/press_releases/2015/08/42-airlines-adopt-wildlife-trophy-bans-082715.html
- US Fish & Wildlife Service, USA: tightened controls around importation of captive bred lion trophies http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/10/wildlife-watch-canned-lion-hunting-trophies-banned/
- Projects supported through Blood Lions® fundraising with Empowers Africa (USA):
- NSPCA “Wild Life Unit” to monitor welfare conditions on predator breeding farms across South Africa 2016.
International Trade Fairs Attended
- ITB Germany
- WTM Cape Town
- Indaba Durban
- We Are Africa Cape Town
- Conservation Lab Cape Town.
- Fair Trade Tourism: Revised membership criteria with regard to wildlife interactive tourism. http://fairtrade.travel/content/page/volunteering
- Trip Advisor: set to improve Wildlife Welfare Standards in Tourism
- Singita, Great Plains and &Beyond: http://www.sabreakingnews.co.za/2016/05/03/african-safari-operators-call-for-an-end-to-captive-breeding-canned-lion-hunting/
- Singita: https://singita.com/press-release/singita-joins-fight-captive-breeding-canned-lion-hunting/
- Responsible Travel: http://www.responsiblevacation.com/copy/blood-lions
- Safari Professionals, USA: http://www.safariprofessionals.org/blood-lions/
- SA Tourism: CEO Sisa Ntshona’s public statement regarding animal interactive tourism
- IUCN World Conservation Congress, Hawaii 2016: Blood Lions® attended the congress during which Motion 009 (co-authored by the Blood Lions® team and various partners) “terminating the practice of breeding lions in captivity for the purpose of ‘canned shooting,’ also known as canned hunting” was presented, resulting in an overwhelming vote in favor of the motion. The film was also screened to delegates.
- Symposium of Contemporary Conservation Practice: Blood Lions® was invited to present at the conference.
- CITES CoP17 Johannesburg: Blood Lion® screening sponsored by HSI and IFAW, and a Blood Lions® exhibition stand secured in partnership with the NSPCA. Members of the Blood Lions® Campaign team attended the convention.
- Panthera USA: https://www.panthera.org/cms/sites/default/files/Panthera_PressRelease_LionBones.pdf
- PHASA (Professional Hunters Association SA): voted against captive breeding/canned hunting at AGM. http://www.phasa.co.za/what-is-in-the-news/phasa-press-release/item/685-phasa-turns-against-captive-bred-lion-hunting.html
- Germany: Jagt und Hund: After viewing Blood Lions® in the EU parliament, Europe’s largest hunting expo publicly denounced marketing and sales of captive bred predators.
- African Lion Working Group: statement distancing themselves from predator breeding industry http://africageographic.com/blog/official-statement-african-lion-working-group-canned-hunting-captive-breeding
- FICMA Golden Sun 2016:
Award for best Feature Documentary
- 59th CINE GOLDEN EAGLE AWARDS:
Finalist Nonfiction Content / Feature – Current Affairs and Investigations Category https://cine.org/awards/
- WESSA “Award for Corporates” 2016:
- Film Festival Blood Lions® Screening Selections:
- USA: Environmental Film Festival in the Nation’s Capital, Washington D.C.
- USA: Telluride Mountain Film, Colorado
- Dominican Republic: Environmental Film Festival
- USA: Joshua Tree International FF, California
- USA: Chagrin Documentary Film Festival Ohio
- USA: Awareness Film Festival, LA
- UK: Wildscreen Film Festival
- Spain: Barcelona International Environmental Film Festival
- USA: Friday Harbor Film Festival, San Juan Islands
- Premier and global release of Blood Lions® : July 2015
- International Subtitles: German
- National: Department of Environmental Affairs and Department of Tourism
- International: Australian and EU Parliaments
- Royal Geographic Society screening, London
International bans of lion body parts/derivatives
- Australia: banned the import all of lion trophies after Blood Lions® and Australian partner For the Love of Wildlife met with the then Minister of Environment, The Hon. Greg Hunt https://conservationaction.co.za/media-articles/australia-bans-importation-of-lion-trophies/
- France: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/nov/19/france-bans-imports-of-lion-hunt-trophies
- The Netherlands: http://www.lionaid.org/news/2016/04/the-netherlands-bans-lion-trophy-imports.htm
- National Geographic: Blood Lions® feature listed as one of 12 most powerful stories over the last decade http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/11/151107-national-geographic-wildlife-crime-trafficking-animals/
- SAMPEO statement against canned hunting: http://www.sampeo.co.za
- World Youth Student Travel Conference screenings: motivated tourism industry to look into lion petting and breeding products, resulting in many volunteer and other interaction programs removal from itineraries and websites.
- GENESIS AWARD 2015: Humane Society US: Best International Feature Documentary Filmhttp://www.humanesociety.org/about/events/genesis_awards/2016-winners.html
- Film Festivals Blood Lions® Screening Selections:
- South Africa: Durban International Film Festival, Durban
- Colombia: Planet on Film Festival, Bogotá
- Holland: Wildlife Film Festival, Rotterdam
- Finland: Lens Politica Film Festival, Helsinki